A native of Baltimore, Father Henry entered the Society of Jesus at the Novitiate of St. Isaac Jogues in Wernersville in 1947. He completed his regency at Scranton Preparatory School. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in classics and Master of Arts in teaching from Bellarmine University and a Master of Arts in classics from Duquesne University. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1960. From 1962 until the school closed in 1973, Father Henry taught Greek and Latin and later was prefect of discipline at the Bishop's Latin School in Pittsburgh. After a year of studies at Duquesne, he returned to Scranton Preparatory School to teach Latin and Greek and to serve as minister of the Jesuit community. From 1984 to 1987, he was secretary to the American assistant at the General Curia in Rome. From 1991 to 1996, he was administrator and later vice superior of the Vatican Observatory Community in Tucson, Ariz. He also held various administrative positions at Jesuit communities in Washington, D.C., and Wernersville. Most recently, Father Henry served as chaplain of the Bishop's Latin School Alumni Association.
In 2007, the Bishop's Latin School Alumni Association celebrated a Mass to recognize Father Henry's 60th anniversary as a Jesuit. Fr. Henry, S.J. was born into eternal life on May5th, 2011.Burial was celebrated Monday May 9th, 2011 at Madonna della Strada Chapel, the university's chapel on Monroe Avenue, Scranton. Interment was held at the Jesuit Center at Wernersville, PA.
March 24, 1929
Entered the Society of Jesus
July 30, 1947
Ordained to the Presbyterate
June 19, 1960
Born into Eternal Life
May 5, 2011
The Bishop's Latin School Alumni Association had established the Joseph E. Henry S.J. Memorial Vocations Fund to allow
friends and alumni to honor Fr. Henry for all his years of dedicated teaching and fostering vocations. Dr. Patrick M. Joyce, ('67), Director of Stewardship & Development for the Diocese of Pittsburgh has worked with us to establish a perpetual fund within the Diocese of Pittsburgh in the name of Fr. Joe Henry, S.J.
Congratulations! We have created a permanent named endowment fund in honor of Father Henry! The formal name is the Rev. Joseph E. Henry S.J. Vocations Fund. Prior to this year’s dinner (2013), the Fund had a balance of $18,697.57. This included gifts, pledge payments, and interest earned since the fund was created in 2011. Last Sunday, Aug. 25, 2013, an anonymous pledge was made to match dollar-for-dollar every new gift and pledge received the night of the dinner. Including the match, we received new checks, cash and pledges totaling $10,080!
Because we have crossed the minimum threshold of $25,000 cash received, The Fr. Henry Vocation Fund will now be considered a permanent named endowment fund, and will begin an annual distribution to support the Vocations Office in the name of the Bishop’s Latin School Alumni Association and in memory of Rev. Joseph E. Henry S.J.
Please make checks payable to: The Diocese of Pittsburgh